The Saturday Jump Start program provides free professional development, enrichment, certification, and college preparation workshops for Jersey City youth.
The workshops take place every Saturday for six weeks during the summer and include the following courses:
- Financial Literacy
- College Tours
- Acting and Art
- First Aid & CPR
This year, we are also pleased to partner with the Jersey City Department of Health & Human Services to offer “My Plate, Your Plate” an innovative healthy cooking class program for youth ages 13-17.
“As we continue to further our partnerships with local businesses and institutions, we are able to reach our goal to help Jersey City youth jump-start their careers and plan for a higher education.”
-Mayor Steven M. Fulop
My Plate, Your Plate
August 6th-August 27th
The Jersey City Department Of Health & Human Services has partnered with the Saturday Jump-Start Program to offer a fun-filled 4- week healthy coking class program for youth ages 13-17.
During the Program, participants will be introduced to:
- Basic cooking techniques and knife skills;
- Sanitation and healthier food choices;
- Recipes and weekly ‘incentives’ to inspire creativity in the kitchen
In order to participate in the program, you must fill out a registration form: My Plate Your Plate Healthy cooking class Program- Forms.
The program will increase the career and academic potential of students through:
- Professional Enrichment: Jersey City youth are given the tools to enhance their knowledge, skills, and competencies by attending weekly workshops. Students have the opportunity to create their resumes with experts from JobsyWobsy, receive financial literacy training , and learn to code with technology professionals from Npower.
- Certification: Students can earn certifications on a variety of topics, including Financial Literacy, First Aid, CPR and AED training.
- College Tours: Throughout the summer, students will tour a variety of universities to learn about the admissions process, academics, and the student experience on campus. This year, tours include: New Jersey City University, Fairleigh Dickinson University, Rutgers University and St. Peter’s University.
- Health and Nutrition: Youth will learn about healthy eating through the “My Plate, Your Plate” initiative offered by the Jersey City Department of Health and Human Services
Saturday Jump Starts are open to all Jersey City youth between the ages of 15 – 21. The sessions are free and lunch is provided.
The “My Plate, Youth Plate” initiative is open to Jersey City youth between the ages of 13-17.
Meet new people, learn new skills and work towards your #goals. All events are free and offer community service hours which are issued by the Jersey City Public Schools.
Join us each Saturday and learn how to #jumpstart your career!