The Jersey City Summer Internship program is a public-private collaboration between the Office of the Mayor, the Jersey City Economic Development Corporation (JCEDC), the Jersey City Public Schools and the City’s leading firms and institutions.
The highly-competitive program is open to Jersey City’s public high school juniors. The program places students in paid work-based learning opportunities at the City’s leading private and nonprofit firms and higher-education institutions.
JCSI includes a weekly professional development class, where students apply what they learn in their internships. Students receive academic credit through the Hudson County and Jersey City School Districts.
The JCSI includes the following key elements.
- Paid Internship: Each JCSI intern is placed in a six-week internship that exposes them to a wide range of professional pathways from July through August at a leading firm or institution. Interns spend Monday through Thursday at their internship sites and receive a stipend for their participation.
- Professional Enrichment: Every Friday, students participate in an enrichment session, which focuses on developing and improving professional and soft skill development skills as well as weekly mentoring support. Representatives from a wide range of organizations help lead the sessions and serve as guest speakers. This element of the program offers an excellent opportunity for volunteers from leading firms and institutions to become further involved in guiding these students’ development.
- Academic Credit: Participating students are eligible to receive academic credits. Academic credits are granted based upon successful completion of the program. Program staff monitors, mentors and provides ongoing support to students.
Students undergo a rigorous admissions process that includes:
- Online Application: The application requires students to submit essays, transcript submission, letters of recommendation and list interests and skills. Applications are reviewed and scored by a qualified stakeholder group.
- Individual Interviews: Typically, interview days take place in March and April. Finalists are interviewed by a panel that includes representatives of participating companies and institutions.
- Internship Placements: Students are notified of placements in the spring.
- Orientation: Students are required to participate in an Orientation Day in May to prepare them for the work ahead.
THE ONLINE APPLICATION PROCESS FOR JCSI 2018 IS ACCEPTING APPLICANTS UNTIL MARCH 5, 2018
Please enjoy our pictures from this summer:
JCSI Opening Ceremonies: June 22, 2017