Q: What is Jersey City Youth Works?

A: Jersey City Summer Works is a comprehensive summer youth employment initiative that emphasizes the need for wide-ranging employment and enrichment opportunities for young people. The initiative is made up of the following programs:

  • Jersey City Summer Internship Program
  • City Youth Jobs
  • Jersey City Mural Arts Program
  • Saturday Jump Starts
  • Jersey City Youth Counsel

Q: What kinds of jobs are available?

A: Jersey City Youth Works offers a wide range of employment and enrichment opportunities for Jersey City youth. For example, through the Jersey City Summer Internship Program, students are placed in paid professional-level summer internships throughout the City in both public and private organizations. Furthermore, our municipal jobs program, City Youth Jobs, features competitive departmental positions in City departments and agencies.

Q: What are the requirements to apply for a job through Jersey City Youth Works?

A: Each program will have its own employment requirements. Please check the requirements for each individual program. However, at the bare minimum, you must:

  • Be a City of Jersey City resident
  • Complete the application on or before the deadline
  • Complete working papers if you are under the age of 18

Q: When will the Jersey City Youth Works application be available?

A: Our application for the 2018 summer season will be available from February 16 – March 31, 2018.

Q: How do I apply?

A: All applications must be submitted online. Please CLICK HERE to access the application for City Youth Jobs

Q: What is the start and end date for the seasonal summer job?

A: Many programs will begin in early July and end in mid-late August. However, some programs have different start and end dates. For more information, please refer to each individual program.

Q: Can I save my application and complete it later?

A: Yes. The application will save your information. Make sure to remember your log in information.

Q: Can I make changes to my application after I submit it?

A: No, you cannot make changes to your application after you submit it.

Q:  Can I apply for more than one Jersey City Youth Works program?

A: Yes, we encourage applicants to apply to multiple Jersey City Youth Works programs. Although you may be admitted into multiple programs, you can only accept a position in one of our programs. Please note, there are more applicants than positions. We encourage you to keep looking and applying for other opportunities while you wait to hear about your application status.

Q: How will I know if I’ve been selected for a job opportunity?

A: Applicants will be contacted directly by phone or email for an interview or to fill a position. Be sure to include a current phone number and an accurate email address on your application to ensure that we are able to reach you.

Q: Can I have more than one summer job?

A: Youth are only allowed to accept one position through Jersey City Youth Works to ensure that as many youth as possible have the opportunity to participate. Youth may accept additional employment outside of Jersey City Youth Works. If a youth has more than one job, he/she will need to work with their employers to make sure they can meet all job expectations.

Q: How are applicants selected?

A: The application selection process depends on the specific program. Some job opportunities require interviews, while others may have additional qualifications for participation.

Q: What can I do if I am not selected?

A: Applying to a program offered through Jersey City Youth Works does not guarantee you will be selected. Please do not be discouraged if you do not secure an opportunity this summer. We offer free enrichment workshops open to all Jersey City youth between the ages of 15-21 through the Saturday Jump Start program. See the events page for more information.

Q: How do I get a working papers?

A: Youth ages 18 and above do not need working papers. If you are under the age of 18, you will need to obtain working papers once you are hired. You can get blank working papers (form A300) from your school, or CLICK HERE to access the working papers form via the NJDOL website.

Have a question that wasn’t answered above? Still need more clarification? Don’t hesitate to Contact Us!